- Series 1: Features: aluminum content above 99.00%, good electrical conductivity, good corrosion resistance, good welding performance, low strength, not heat-treatable. Application range: high-purity aluminum (aluminum content above 99.9%) is mainly used for science Test, chemical industry and special purpose.
- Series 2: Features: Aluminum alloy containing copper as the main element. Manganese, magnesium, lead and bismuth are also added for machinability. Such as: 2011 alloy, pay attention to safety protection during the smelting process (hazardous gas will be generated). The 2014 alloy is used in the aviation industry with high strength. The 2017 alloy has a lower strength than the 2014 alloy, but it is easier to process. 2014 can be strengthened by heat treatment. Disadvantages: The tendency of intergranular corrosion is serious. Applications: Aviation industry (2014 alloy), screws (2011 alloy) and industries with higher service temperatures (2017 alloy).
- Series 3: Features: Aluminum alloy with manganese as the main alloy element, can not be strengthened by heat treatment, has good corrosion resistance and good welding performance. Good plasticity. (Close to super aluminum alloy). Disadvantages: low strength, but it can be strengthened by cold work hardening. Coarse crystal grains are easily generated during annealing. Application scope: seamless oil pipe (3003 alloy) and cans (3004 alloy) used on airplanes.
- 4 series: mainly silicon, not commonly used. Some 4 series alloys can be strengthened by heat treatment, but some 4 series alloys cannot be heat treated.
- Series 5: Features: Mainly magnesium. Good resistance, good welding performance, good fatigue strength, no heat treatment strengthening, only cold working to increase the strength. Applications: Lawn mower handles, aircraft fuel tank ducts, body armor.
- Generally, the middle-end and above shoe racks are basically 6-series or 7-series. 6-series: Features: mainly magnesium and silicon. Mg2Si is the main strengthening phase and is currently the most widely used alloy. 6063, 6061 are the most used, other 6082, 6160, 6125, 6262, 6060, 6005, 6463. The strength of 6063, 6060, and 6463 is relatively low in the 6 series. The 6262, 6005, 6082, 6061 have higher strength in the 6 series. The mid-end frame of Cyclone No. 2 is 6061. Features: medium strength, good corrosion resistance, good welding performance, good process performance (easy to be extruded), good oxidation and coloring performance. Application scope: energy transfer tools (such as: car luggage racks, doors, windows, body, heat sink, box shell)
- 7 Series: Features: Mainly zinc, but sometimes a small amount of magnesium and copper are added. Among them, super-hard aluminum alloys contain zinc, lead, magnesium and copper alloys close to the hardness of steel. The extrusion speed is slower than that of the 6 series alloy, and the welding performance is good. 7005 and 7075 are the highest grades in the 7 series and can be strengthened by heat treatment. Application scope: aviation (plane’s load-bearing components, landing gear), rockets, propellers, aviation spacecraft.
Link to this article：Brief introduction of 1 series-9 series aluminum alloy
Reprint Statement: If there are no special instructions, all articles on this site are original. Please indicate the source for reprinting:Alloy Wiki，thanks！^^